Dozens of families in the Saguenay La Baie neighborhood were forced to leave their homes late Saturday night.
The City of Saguenay and the Saguenay Fire Department ordered an emergency evacuation of 53 homes. The latest order comes just days after 24 other residences were evacuated following a landslide that swept away the home on Monday.
Authorities fear that another landslide could occur in the area. They asked residents to leave their homes by Sunday morning.
Several families left the area, taking with them as many belongings as possible. Someone went to relatives, and those who had nowhere to go, the city redirected to a shelter in the country. Jean-Claude Tremblay Sports Center.
Saguenay Mayor Julie Dufour said 76 families have been displaced so far.
The city was told on Saturday that land in the area is more unstable than previously thought and that more homes could be at risk.
During a press conference on Saturday evening at the Saguenay fire department’s headquarters, the municipal authorities said it was an important development and they were taking it seriously.
At 4:00 pm on Saturday, the Quebec Ministry of Transport told Saguenay that the ground could easily collapse and that conditions were similar to those seen in the nearby Saint-Jean-Viannet area in 1971, when a major landslide in the Shipshaw area killed 31 people.
Officials warn that the evacuation order could remain in effect for weeks or even months.
“We are doing our best to help relocate these people, to provide them with information. They are our number one priority,” Dufour added. “And I ask everyone to cooperate as soon as possible, take everything calmly.”
All those affected by the evacuation will be taken care of, the local authorities assured. Saguenay urges those affected to call (418) 699-6000 for support.