About 20 students at Oxford High School, where four students were killed and seven others injured in a mass shooting, are now suing the school district, alleging violations of their constitutional rights to safety and education.
The names of the Oxford Community School District, its former superintendent and other officials, in the lawsuit alleging that students want to see changes to improve safety. A law firm is representing students.
In the lawsuit, the school district has demanded a third-party investigation into “actions and incidents leading up to the shooting.”
It also said the district needed to end “the practice of concealing and minimizing threats of violence.”
CRUMBLEY Parental fees ‘fully guaranteed,’ everyone can face up to 15 years, says former US lawyer
While other lawsuits against the school district seek financial damages, there is no lawsuit against the students. The school district is requested to prevent students from attending classes if they endanger themselves or others.
The alleged shooter, Ethan Crumble, 16, was charged with terrorism and murder as a result of the Nov. 30 shooting at Oxford High School.
On the morning of the alleged shooting by Crumble, his parents came to the school and showed him drawings made by their son, showing a handgun and the following words: “Thoughts will not stop. Help me.”
According to authorities, James and Jennifer Crumbley’s parents did not take him home after the visit. He was charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter and pleaded not guilty.
Oakland County Attorney Karen MacDonald said James Crumble bought the weapon found at the scene of the shooting at a local gun shop on Black Friday.
Michigan shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley’s parents plead not guilty to involuntary manslaughter
One student, Alicia Feltz, who will be new this autumn, says threats and intimidation rumors were ignored before the shooting.
“They sensitized and minimized the threats that run through our children in the hallway,” Feltz said.
“None of us want to come here right now,” Feltz added. “We have kindly and emphatically demanded change and now we are demanding it.”
Click here to get the Fox News app
The parents of the children in the lawsuit say the Oxford School Board has refused to allow Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel’s office to review the incident and the incident.
Last month, the district said it was appointing a law firm and independent investigative agency to review.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.