NewYou can listen to the Fox News article now!

Los Angeles prosecutors are blasting Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon, who Tuesday night killed two police officers by a gang member who was on probation for a weapons charge, after he received a lenient sentence through a plea bargain.

Justin William Flores killed two El Monte police officers in California on Tuesday night. He had been sentenced to a previous strike and had been given a two-year probation for carrying a firearm. The sentence is in line with Gascon’s policy, which has been taken to court for refusing to prosecute three-strike cases.

Gascon policy allowed Flores to hold no contest, despite a strike on his criminal record, and then a lenient sentence.

Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney John Hatami said on Twitter that Gascon was promoting a culture of “no responsibility and no public safety.”

The California suspect who killed two El Monte police officers was on probation for gun charges, sources said.

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon is speaking at a news conference in Los Angeles on December 8, 2021.

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon is speaking at a news conference in Los Angeles on December 8, 2021.
(Photo by Robin Beck / AFP)

“George Gascon says he cares about gun violence. Actions speak louder than words! He refuses to fully charge and refuses to prosecute existing gun cases. The criminal with the former strike – no liability in prison and no public safety,” Hatami said.

Hatami is part of the Gascon recall movement. The recall George Gascon campaign recently announced that it had collected the number of signatures needed to place Gascon’s recall on the ballot.

He also slammed Gascon for not caring about the “past violent criminal history.”

Officials say

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon speaks at a news conference on December 8, 2021 in Los Angeles, California.

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon speaks at a news conference on December 8, 2021 in Los Angeles, California.
(Photo by Robin Beck / AFP)

Sources in the district attorney’s office told Fox News that if Flores had been tried in February 2021, he would have been sentenced to three years in prison.

Gascon’s office told Fox News that Flores had no “documented history of violence” when he was sentenced.

“His conviction in the gun case was consistent with the outcome of the trial for this type of crime, given his criminal history and the nature of the crime,” the statement said. “By the time the court sentenced him, Mr Flores had no documented history of violence.”

Click here to get the Fox News app

This photo, provided by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, shows Justin William Flores, the alleged gunman in the Southern California shooting that killed two police officers on Tuesday, June 14, 2022 in El Monte, California.  Flores was identified as the suspect.  Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office on Wednesday, June 15, 2022.

This photo, provided by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, shows Justin William Flores, the alleged gunman in the Southern California shooting that killed two police officers on Tuesday, June 14, 2022 in El Monte, California. Flores was identified as the suspect. Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office on Wednesday, June 15, 2022.
(California Department of Reform and Rehabilitation via AP)

El Monte Police Officer, CPL. Michael Parades and officer Joseph Santana were killed Tuesday in response to a stabbing at a local motel. The suspect was shot on the way to the suspect and both officers were shot.

The officer later died at a Los Angeles hospital, officials said.

Fox News’ Louis Casiano and Bill Melugin contributed to the report