Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon defended his policies during remarks Tuesday after he was accused of killing two El Monte suspects. California, police officerHe was on probation at the time of the incident.
Justin William Flores, who is accused of firing on the El Monte Police Department CPL. Michael Paredes and officer Joseph Santana were convicted of an earlier strike and sentenced to two years in prison for serious possession of a firearm.
“We have an incomplete system,” Gascon told a news conference Tuesday. Community when we try to pretend that we can say 100% of the time that these things are going to happen …. “
The California man suspected of killing 2 El Monte police officers was out on a gun charge, sources said.
Flores had been “addicted to drugs for many years” and had previously been arrested “several times for a variety of low-level crimes, most of which were related to drugs,” the DA said.
“And then almost a decade ago, he was arrested and convicted of stealing a TV from his grandparents’ house,” Gascon said. “He then stayed away from the criminal justice system until he was arrested in this particular case, where he was arrested for carrying drugs and a gun for personal use.”
Gascon added that Flores could have gone to jail in accordance with his policies if the suspect had been prosecuted.
Los Angeles prosecutor blasts George Gascon after killing officer in line of duty: ‘No liability’
“We can do this ‘if,'” he said. “Disasters – a tragedy – have many chances, of course, but the reality is that when you have a history of this person, the consequences were right for the situation.”
The district attorney, who is facing recall efforts, added that plaintiffs should continue to “work for a safer community” by doing “what we know”, including intervention for people on probation, transitional services for those released from prison. Keep them out of jail, trauma recovery, working employment and housing services etc.
“I urge everyone not to overreact here and we do what we can,” Gascon added.
Eric Sidol, vice president of the Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney’s Association, issued a statement Tuesday condemning Gascon’s response to the deaths of the two officers.
“According to California law, Flores should have been in the state prison on the day he killed the two officers. Instead, because of George Gascon’s policies, he was beating his girlfriend in a hotel room in El Monte until the two officers answered the call. For help. Now two officers have died.” Are, “said Sidol.
Pardes and Santana were responding to a local motel when they encountered a suspect who was allegedly attacked with a knife. Both officers were injured in the shooting. After that Died at a Los Angeles hospitalOfficials said.
Nineteen months ago, Sidol added, Gascon “issued an order to take action on all the strike crimes alleged by previous district attorneys.”
“He ordered that all cases eligible for probation be granted probation. That was his order,” Siddle wrote. “On February 10, 2021, Flores – a gang member charged with possession of a firearm, possession of a gun, methamphetamine and ammunition – was the beneficiary of this policy. Due to the policies, he was granted probation. “
Click here to get the Fox News app
On June 14, Siddle argued, “a career criminal who never killed two officers trying to help an unsafe victim.”
Gascon’s office told Fox News in a statement at the time that Flores’ conviction for the gun charge was “consistent with the outcome of the trial for this type of crime, given his criminal history and the nature of the crime,” and that Flores had “no law documenting the history of violence at the time of the crime.”
Fox News’ Louis Casiano and Bill Melugin contributed to the report.