A year has passed since Chris and Laura Didier found their 17-year-old son Jack lying on his desk at their home near Sacramento, California.
Their son “appeared to be asleep, and when I contacted him, I knew something was terribly wrong,” father Chris Didier told Fox News, recalling the moment his son entered the room on December 27, 2020.
“I felt like something was dark and empty – and it was haunting me,” he said.
With the worst fear, Didier did what any father would do – he tried to bring Jack back to consciousness.
Fentanyl test strips can detect the deadly opioid hidden in recreational drugs
Didier, a former U.S. Army member, tried to rehabilitate Jackie using his CPR training, while his other son, Sam, was screaming to call 911.
After a while the doctors reached there and took remedial action.
After about 10 minutes they realized there was nothing they could do for the young man. Father Chris Didier recalls what happened next.
“I do not accept it.” It’s not acceptable, “he said.” So, I restarted CPR and fought as hard as I could to prevent damage. Some time later, one of the respondents took me away from Zach. ”
The bewildered father said, “Just stopped.”
“I know what fentanyl is, but how does it get into my house?”
Chris Didier said the coroners arrived at his home to inspect Jack’s room over a period of several hours.
“They said, ‘Chris, this is a real secret,'” he said. “‘We – obviously, if someone dies – we want to find out what happened, if there’s any clear evidence.”
The researchers told Didier that there were two possible causes for Jack’s death: natural causes or fentanyl.
“I know what fentanyl is, but how does it get into my house?” Asked Chris Didier. “My baby is inside my house. He’s not out of the dangers of the world. How does he get it into his room? How does it get into his body?”
What Chris and Laura soon learned was that their son had bought what he thought was a percosset pill from someone at Snapchat. Instead, he ended up with a fake pill made with fentanyl.
“We never heard of counterfeit pills,” said Jack’s mother, Laura Didier.
“We’ve never heard of drug dealers hunting down young people through social media apps. We have no idea, or our neighbors, or our friends or Zach’s classmates. I mean, we’re all completely blindfolded. It’s happening.”
“Social media is a very common platform. You can get what you want on social media at any age and I don’t know [this] Is happening. “
She and her husband were both shocked to learn that their son, Jack, was able to get the contaminated pill so easily on social media.
“None of us have ever heard of the other parents we know, his soccer team, all those friends – the fake prescription pill that Fentanyl is the only acting agent,” Chris Didier told Fox News.
“I also learned that social media is a very common platform. You can get what you want on social media at any age and I had no idea it was happening.”
Oregon drug decriminalization attempt a ‘tragedy’
Synthetic opioids, fentanyl, which is primarily made illegally, are the leading cause of overdose deaths in the US, especially among adolescents.
According to a study released in April by the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), fentanyl-related deaths among adolescents between the ages of 14 and 18 are increasing exponentially, representing 77% of adolescent deaths in teens last year alone.
Dr. Olivia Ray Wright, a family medicine and adolescent addiction specialist in Vancouver, Washington, said, “Once-users are more likely to die from it because they have no patience and do not know what they are taking.”
Last November, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released a shocking report stating that more than 100,000 drug overdose deaths had occurred in the US in the 12 months ending April 2021. This is an increase of almost 30%. From the same time a year ago.
One doctor said the overdose began to increase when heroin began to be mixed with fentanyl as a supplement to push out more product.
Three out of every four Americans who die during that time are killed by synthetic opioids, mainly fentanyl – and those numbers continue to rise, as young Jack Didier did not know what they were taking.
Dr. Wright said the overdose began to increase when heroin began to be combined with fentanyl as a filler to push out more product.
“It’s all happening in the Northeast, and it’s starting to mix with heroin,” she said. “The heroin on the East Coast comes from China and is in a white powder form that is very easy to mix [with] Fentanyl. “
Wright said when the production of a certain type of heroin, known as China White, slowed down, it was not a problem on the West Coast for the past 10 years.
“When it first started to become an issue, China put a lot of pressure from the US about it,” she said.
“They stopped making it. But what they do, they send precursors [base chemical compounds] To Mexico, and now it has been distributed in the United States and has reached the west coast. ”
FEDS seizes 478,000 counterfeit pills, charge for drug trafficking and other offenses 26
The addiction expert also points out, “Once prescription opioids are not available, then they are [the drug dealers] People are looking for other things to hook and fentanyl is a great way to do that. ”
She continued, “It began feeding in supply, began to combine with other drugs, and then now on its own and mostly in pill form.”
Since Jack’s death, Laura and Chris have used their experience to inform other parents about the dangers of counterfeit pills and the open drug market on social media.
Click here to download the Fox News app
“If we were aware of this problem – if we saw a news report about it or if we saw a program about it in our school … we might have this particular conversation,” Laura Didier said.
Fentanyl Awareness Group asks Biden admin to track poisoning and overdose deaths such as Kovid-19 deaths
She added, “If we could even tell our beautiful, energetic child, ‘If you ever see anything on social media, do not believe the scam. What they are selling is not what they tell you.'”
The mother concluded, “I want to know if it’s a conversation.”